For many patients, injectables represent a good compromise between avoiding any downtime while still achieving the significant, lasting results that only a clinical treatment can provide. But with so many injectables available in today’s med spas, it can be hard to know which one(s) to choose. Let’s sort out the differences between BOTOX®, JUVÉDERM®, Restylane®, and other favorites among our patients in the Palo Alto, Walnut Creek, and Seattle areas.
- BELOTERO®: BELOTERO is a versatile, “softer” hyaluronic acid filler that can provide a very even, customized correction for fine, delicate lines as well as deeper folds.
- BOTOX Cosmetic & Dysport®: These injectables both use the same active ingredient (botulinum toxin type A), which can be used to treat the same areas: wrinkles and lines that are caused by movement, such as crow’s feet. Subtle differences in the formulations between these 2 products may make one better suited to your specific concerns.
- JUVÉDERM XC: This hyaluronic acid-based filler is best for lines around the mouth and nose, especially the nasolabial folds. The “XC” indicates that it comes formulated with an anesthetic called lidocaine to keep you comfortable during injections.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC: A more specific formulation of JUVÉDERM, VOLBELLA is intended to add subtle volume and shape to the lips. It has a lower concentration of hyaluronic acid, for the added precision and control needed to reshape the lips.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC: By adding volume to cheeks, VOLUMA provides a bit of a lift and a youthful-looking profile.
- KYBELLA®: This one-of-a-kind injectable isn’t intended to treat wrinkles at all. Instead, KYBELLA has deoxycholic acid as its active ingredient, which reduces the appearance of a double chin by dissolving fat.
- Restylane: The Restylane family of fillers are hyaluronic acid-based wrinkle smoothers. It’s comparable, although not identical to, JUVÉDERM.
- Restylane Lyft: Restylane Lyft restores lost volume to the cheeks.
- Restylane Silk: Restylane Silk is a soft, smooth formulation that treats thin or uneven lips, as well as the lines around them.
- Sculptra® Aesthetic: Made from an ingredient called poly-L-lactic acid, Sculptra is a long-lasting filler that helps the body to create more of its own collagen. Sculptra is best for areas of low volume and deep wrinkles.
Of course, the best way to determine the right injectable for you is to see us in person for a complimentary consultation. We have locations throughout northern California in Palo Alto, Walnut Creek, Mill Valley, and Los Gatos, as well as 3 locations in metro Seattle: University Village, Bellevue Square, and Redmond.