REBALANCE Rules for Success #1: Eat Breakfast
You’re not hungry. You hit the snooze button one too many times this morning. You’re on a diet. There’s no food in the house. These are all reasons why a person would want to skip eating the most important meal of the day.
Did you know that skipping breakfast is more likely to cause weight gain rather than weight loss? When you don’t eat breakfast, your body goes into starvation mode. Then whenever you do get around to eating, your body will store the calories consumed instead of burning them. When you skip breakfast, you’re also more likely to eat more food at your next meal and more likely to cave into cravings high in fat and calories in order to starve off hunger.
Health Benefits of Breakfast
When you eat breakfast, you set your body up for success for the rest of the day. Eating breakfast:
- Revs up the metabolism, getting it ready to burn calories.
- Helps resist the urge to snack excessively
- Puts you in a good mood
- Gives you energy throughout the day
- Helps regulate your blood sugar levels through lunch
- Makes your body efficient in everything it does throughout the day
If you’re concerned with calorie consumption, remember that breakfast is the most important meal for weight loss. If you’re trying to lose weight, keep in mind that it’s not just about the calories. Timing is key. According to a recent study, women who ate half of 1,400 daily calories at breakfast lost almost 80 percent more weight than women who ate half their 1,400 calories at dinner.
Medical Weight Loss Tips
Our REBALANCE Metabolic Weight Loss Program recommends:
- Eating a healthy, but not excessive breakfast
- Trying to eat within one hour of getting up in the morning
- If you’re a chronic breakfast skipper, start with something small and simple like eating a piece of fruit. As you progress, add protein and small amounts of fats to your morning meal.
REBALANCE Medical Weight Loss is available in all Northern California clinics, including Los Gatos, Mill Valley, Palo Alto, San Francisco, and Walnut Creek. To learn more or schedule a consult with one of our medical weight loss experts, call us at (855) 383-7546.
Disclaimer: Information and content within this blog is provided for informational purposes only. This blog is not intended to provide medical advice, and anything read here should not be construed as such. Reading this blog or communicating with our staff does not create a physician-patient relationship. If you have questions about any health issue, including something you may have read here, please consult a licensed, trained physician or health professional immediately.