Tips for the Perfect Home Facial
Just because you can’t come in for a treatment right now, doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself to a home facial! In fact, now is the time to prioritize taking care of yourself, and a home facial can be a great way to de-stress and keep your skin glowing and healthy.
SkinSpirit Aesthetics Department Manager, Karen Fernandez, has outlined everything you need to create the perfect home facial, using only products that are available to you. Follow these steps, and enjoy!
1. Start by cleansing your skin using your favorite cleanser. Spend extra time massaging it in, with your Clarisonic Brush if you have one. If you have oily skin or have been wearing makeup or SPF, we recommend cleansing twice.
2. Remove the cleanser with a nice, warm towel that you heat up using hot running water from your sink. Add a drop of essential oil to the corner of your towel to create a spa-like experience. One drop is all that you need – just be sure to choose an essential oil that is safe for direct contact to the skin. Lavender is a favorite!
3. While your skin is still damp, exfoliate. There are two main types of exfoliants: scrubs and enzymes. Both will help remove surface dead skin build up.
With most products, we recommend adding a bit of warm water to emulsify. Please note some scrubs contain acids and may tingle.
When choosing an exfoliant, look for products designed to treat your skin type: Salicylic Acid is great for acne, Lactic acid is for dryness, Glycolic is for brightening, and Mandelic is for sensitive skin. Jan Marini’s Skin Zyme and Clean Zyme products are favorites for most skin types.
Remove with another one of those warm, scented towels – just like at SkinSpirit!
4. Now that your skin is super clean and exfoliated, apply your favorite face mask.
When looking for a face mask, consider a clay-based option for acne, Lipids for dryness, Citric Acid for brightening, and Hylaronic for dehydration.
Cozy up with a book and relax while you let your mask absorb for 15-20 minutes. Remove with a cool, fresh towel to keep your skin calm and happy!
5. Your skin is clean and receptive, so it’s time to apply treatment serums and creams.
Remember to always apply thinnest to thickest! Liquid-y serums should be applied first, followed by products containing active ingredients, then moisturizers, and SPF is always last!
Pro tip: If you are enjoying your home facial at night, finish with only your retinol product and moisturizer to help maximize cell turnover and anti-aging benefit.
6. Enjoy the glow!
Running Out of Products? We Can Help
If you need more cleanser, exfoliant, face masks, or moisturizers, we are here to help you keep your bathroom shelves stocked!
- IS Clinical
- Jan Marini
If you don’t see a brand you currently get from SkinSpirit clinics, such as SkinBetter, ZO Skin Health, Nutrafol or others, we can still help! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your product request and phone number, and we’ll be in touch to assist you in getting your favorite product delivered.