You have just received Intense Pulsed Light treatment. Most patients experience minimal to no side effects after this treatment. However, a small percentage (less than 1%) of patients may experience minor side effects such as swelling, slight scabbing, blisters, bruising, hyper/hypopigmentation. Listed below are some simple but important instructions that will help minimize side effects and help you achieve the best possible result from your treatment.
1. Avoid direct/indirect sun exposure. This means no tanning of any kind, including tanning booths or artificial tanning otions. We recommend applying sunblock daily to the treated area, especially facial areas with minimum of 20-30SPF. Your sunblock should contain Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide or Parsol as the active ingredients. Make sure to reapply sunblock every 2-3 hours outdoors or in direct sunlight.
2. After a treatment your skin may feel slightly sunburned. You may use a cold pack for comfort and to relieve swelling as needed. Cold Aloe Vera gel works well. Avoid hot baths or showering for the first 24-48 hours. Call if you notice the sensation of excessive or uncomfortable heat.
3. Very rarely, a small blister or scab may form. Call immediately if you have any blistering. Leave it alone if intact. If skin breaks or a blister opens, apply an over the counter topical antibiotic ointment to the area and reapply regularly to keep area moist and well covered with medication. To reduce the risk of scarring you must not pick at your skin after an IPL treatment.
4. If you experience itching as the skin heals, you may use an over the counter topical hydrocortisone cream. Do not use Retin A products or other irritating products including glycolic acids or other acids until instructed to do so.
5. You may apply make up on the treated area as long as the skin is not broken or blistered.
6. Discontinue use of any Retin A or hydroquinone products 5-7 days prior to your next treatment.
Please do not hesitate to call our office at 855.383.7546 if you have any questions or concerns about your treatments.
If you have a situation that you feel cannot wait until the next business day please call our office and follow the prompts to our after-hours message to page the 24 hr/day on-call nurse.