The following are some pre-treatment guidelines that will help with the success of your IPL treatments.
- NO sun exposure and/or tanning bed exposure for 4-6 weeks prior to and following your IPL treatment. If you have had exposure to the sun, please notify your practitioner as we may reschedule your appointment.
- Please inform your practitioner of any changes in any prescriptions and /or Certain medications can increase photo-sensitivity which may affect the outcome of your treatment.
- Discontinue use of Retinal (ex. Retin A) products at least 5-7 days prior to your IPL treatments.
- If you have a history of cold sores, please inform your practitioner. We will prescribe an antiviral to begin 2 days prior to your IPL treatment and three days following to decrease the risk of an outbreak.
- Discomfort is usually mild to moderate. In some cases we may recommend a topical anesthetic to decrease discomfort during the IPL treatment. We try to limit the use of topical anesthetics, if possible, as they increase photo-sensitivity. If a topical anesthetic is required, we can make adjustments to the IPL settings.
- Pigment changes- the treated areas will probably heal without any pigment changes. However, there is always a chance the hyper-pigmentation (darker) or hypo-pigmentation (lighter) areas may occur. These are temporary and will fade within 1-6 months. Sun exposure must be avoided as it may intensify hyper-pigmentation. It is rare that a change is permanent.
- Scarring is very rare and it is important to follow all post-treatment instructions carefully.
Please do not hesitate to call our office at 855.383.7546 if you have any questions or concerns about your treatments.
If you have a situation that you feel cannot wait until the next business day please call our office and follow the prompts to our after-hours message to page the 24 hr/day on-call nurse.