Immediately after treatment:
Your skin will feel hot and look flushed for a few hours. That should generally subside by around 50% within the hour – so you can expect that hour right after treatment to be the most intense.
Keep in mind your numbing cream is also wearing off at the same time, and the combined effect can feel traumatic. Just give it time! Don’t panic, and avoid touching it. This is completely normal and you just need to let a little time go by.
As you are driving home, using your air conditioner can provide some relief…or a fan of any sort!
For the next 24 hours:
- Avoid touching your skin but if you must, wash your hands before you do.
- Gently cleanse your skin with a mild cleanser that does not contain any active ingredients no less than six hours after your treatment.
- Apply the post care cream “rescue” from your kit as often as needed for the first 24-48 hours. This is the recommended moisturizer to be using during this time when you skin is especially sensitive.
- Use a physical sunblock 30-50 SPF often and try to avoid direct sun exposure.
- As always, stay hydrated from the inside out!
- Continue with gentle cleanser morning and night.
- Use gentle moisturizer morning and night and as needed. We recommend our post care kit from Sente with Dermal Repair Cream and a physical SPF.
- As your skin begins to slough and lightly peel, it may feel dry (like sandpaper) no matter how much moisturizer is used. This is normal, and will resolve once sloughing has subsided. This process may last for a couple of days.
- To assist the sloughing process, apply Jan Marini Skin Zyme Mask for 15-20 min and remove with Jan Marini Clean Zyme and a clean wet washcloth. This can be done once a day until the sloughing has resolved. Follow with hydration and neutral moisturizer.
- Do not use any antioxidants, resurfacers, retinol or other active products while skin is recovering. Use of these may resume when skin feels back to normal.
After one week:
- Slowly resume your active products as tolerated.
- Continue with physical sunblock every day.
- Best results are usually seen between 2-3 months after treatment.
- Treatments are generally recommended once a month for an initial series of three followed by maintenance treatments once every six months. Be sure to discuss your individual goals with your practitioner as the process can vary depending on the goals.
- Use of targeted medical grade products will amplify your results and the benefits of micropenning and microneedling. Be sure to consult with your practitioner to get the best regime for you and your skin.
Please do not hesitate to call our office at (855) 383-7546 if you have any questions or concerns about your treatments. If you have a situation that you feel cannot wait until the next business day, please call our office and follow the prompts to our after-hours message to page the 24 hr/day on-call nurse.